...from GuidedPath Edge Guru

Underclassmen: How do you get money for college? (FAFSA!)

government building

Your eligibility for financial aid starts in January of your junior year.  Now is the time to learn what information you and your parents will need in order to file a FAFSA.  

What is the FAFSA? 

The Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form students and parents must complete and submit to the federal government to determine their eligibility for federal financial aid? 

Who files the FAFSA? 

Since this is an application federal financial aid, it is for US citizens or students with a legal status in the United States. International students are not eligible for federal student aid. 

What kind of aid does the federal government offer? 

There are three types of aid offered by the US government: 1) Grants, 2) Student Loans, 3) Work-study. 

Take Action 

  1. Complete the EFC Calculator in GuidedPath.  Review the results with your parents. 
  2. Read Tackling the Basics of College Affordability to learn how colleges award financial aid.