You said it when you were growing up, “I can’t wait to be an adult”. Your parents yelled it at you, “We can’t wait until you are an adult!”. How do you know when you are an adult? Take this quiz to see what your grade is as an “adult”. Answer each question with a Yes or No.
- I get myself up in the morning.
- I do my own laundry.
- I know how to keep a budget.
- I manage my own appointments.
- I know how to call to make appointments at the doctor or dentist.
- I can wash dishes.
- I can clean my room.
- I can see a task that needs to be done and do it without asking.
- I can order a meal in a restaurant.
- I can manage my bills.
- I know how much money I can spend every month.
- I can manage my time for school and fun.
- I can plan a time out with my friends.
- I know how to ask for help.
- I know how to stand up for myself.
- I know how to listen.
- I can say no when tempted to do the wrong thing.
- I can find a new address on my own.
- I know how to meet deadlines.
- I know how to prioritize things I need to do.
What your scores mean
Tally your score – each Yes response receives 1 point.
A+ = 17-20. You are ready to enter adulthood with flying colors.
B+= 13- 19. You are an emerging adult. You almost have it down. You have just a few things to work on yet.
C+= 10- 18. You are getting there. You have a few more items to work on.
D+= 5-9. You have a ways to go. Work on some of these tasks this summer before you go to college.
F+ = 1-4. You are not ready to go to college. You might need a year at home to get ready for adulthood.
Being an adult is about more than having freedom and doing what you want. It is about responsibility, accountability and good choices. Practice your “adult” skills this summer, and you will be at the A+ adult level when you leave for college in the fall.